A place for everything that is close to my heart....from ramblings of an idle mind to something inspirational to fun and humor.....self-written and sourced....

Monday, July 2, 2007

My first tag

I have been tagged for the first time in my blogger-life by Niths.

Incidentally, this is my 75th post! So double bonanza dhan! :-)

The topic of the tag is 'books'. So here goes:

Books that changed my life

Most of the Enid Blyton books and 'Gokulam' that I used to read when I was a kid a long, long time ago. These books sowed the seed of creative writing in me and in a way 'changed my life'.

The other books that touched me were Chicken Soup for the Soul and Who Moved My Cheese. These books always inspire me.

One other book that I could truly relate to was The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I had expected a mind-blowing complicated book, but what I found was a simple story that depicted the profound truths of life. I could relate to the central character of the story, Santiago, very well. This book touched me a lot.

Well, 'changed my life' would be an exxageration, all these were books that inspired and touched me in one way or the other.

Books that I have read more than once

The Collection of Classic short stories from Readers' Digest
Chicken Soup for the Soul
All it takes is family by Sharon De Vita
Bride of my heart by Rebecca Winters
The Fraudulent Fiancee by Muriel Jensen

The last three are Mills & Boons' that I loved :-)

A book that I would take to a desert island

The Fraudulent Fiancee again! :-) On second thoughts, I would rather take something like 'How to survive alone on a desert island' ! :-)

Books that made you laugh

Tintin books
Hot Water by PG Wodehouse

Books that made you cry

Undoubtedly, it has got to be Chicken Soup for the Soul. Other books that made me emotional were The Fraudulent Fiancee and All It takes is family.

A book you wish had been written

A book on the life of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam

Books that you wish had never been written

Love Story by Eric Segal. It was a bestseller, yes, but somehow, failed to touch me. Dunno why!
When the stars shine down by Sidney Sheldon

Books you are currently reading

The Painter of signs by RK Narayan
Excerpts from Gitanjali by Tagore

Books you've been meaning to read

This is one long list. Dunno when, how and if I will do it, but I have been meaning to read these books:
1) Like the flowing river by Paulo Coelho
2) Veronika decides to die by Paulo Coelho
3) By the river Piedra I sat and wept by Paulo Coelho
4) The Zahir by Paulo Coelho
5) How Opal Mehta got kissed, got wild and got a life by Kavya Vishwanathan
6) A walk to remember by Nicholas Sparks
7) The curious incident of the dog in the night time by Mark Haddon
8) The God of small things by Arundhati Roy
9) The works of O' Henry
10) The works of William Somerset Maugham
11) If tomorrow never comes by Sidney Sheldon
12) Swamy and friends by RK Narayan
13) The Bible (or atleast excerpts)
14) The Quoran (or atleast excerpts)
15) The Bhagwad Geeta (or atleast excerpts)
16) I moved your cheese
17) Simple steps to impossible dreams by Steven Scott
18) My experiments with truth by MK Gandhi
19) One night at the call centre by Chetan Bhagat
20) Harry Potter
21) Alice in Wonderland
22) The Wizard of Oz
23) Arabian nights
24) The wishing chair, I think it was by Enid Blyton, am not sure. Read it long, long ago.
The last few are kiddo books, but I would love to read them all the same. :-)

Now, I hereby tag Karthik. :-)

Thanks, Niths. Enjoyed doing this! :-)

10 comments:

Sathej said...

Nice list!Haven't read several though!
Sathej

Nithya said...

Aaha ! Good one there :) Will tag u once again, next yr :D - book related tag that is...lemme c evlo books devour panniyach nu :)

"Love Story by Eric Segal. It was a bestseller, yes, but somehow, failed to touch me. Dunno why!"

Hi5 :| Whatte crappy book...'Mujhse Dosti Karoge' sucks..Rani Mukherjee's interests (as far as books are concerned) suck..Love Story sucks :|

Nithya said...

Forgot to give u something :)

http://www.poojasweets.com/productimage/Pani%20Poori%204.JPG

Congo on 75 ;)

Sathej said...

You haven't read Swamy and Friends as yet?Is enetertaining!
And yes,seeing your style of writing,I would seriously recommend A Tale of Two Cities.
Sathej

Ryan said...

super ...way to go AKKA( :) )!! ( for 75)

and i have to read many from ur list..note panniyach

Priya Iyer said...

@sathej,

thanks! :-) suggestion noted!

@niths,

thanks! :-) hi-5! and thanks for the panipuri! was delicious! :-)

@sharan,

thanks for the wishes! :-)
**glaring at sharan with a red face and smoke coming out of ears**

Anonymous said...

hey, congrats on the 75 not out! :-)

and can I borrow your entire bookshelf the moment you buy all the books you've been meaning to read pls? ;-)

Priya Iyer said...

priya,

thank you so much! :-)

yep, when i am finished with reading all these, can we swap our bookshelves, pls pls pls pls...?;-)
i know you have a mean collection. saw it on your blog! :-)

Princess Stefania said...

Interesting tag.
;)

The Wishing Chair is one of my favourite Enid Blyton's. Though come to think of it, is it possible to pick just one favourite? Perhaps 300....

(and there are three books in the series)

Priya Iyer said...

princess,

thanks for visiting! :-)

i loved 'wishing chair' too! i used to read it all the time whenever i could lay my hands on it at the library when i was a kid! :-) would love to read them again!

yep, each one of those books was fantabulous and it is almost impossible to choose a favourite! :-)