A place for everything that is close to my heart....from ramblings of an idle mind to something inspirational to fun and humor.....self-written and sourced....

Sunday, July 1, 2007

The old tree


I was a lush tree once,
Beautiful to look at,
With green, green leaves
And strong boughs,
The birds used to nest in me
And sing me beautiful songs,
My heart was filled
With gaiety and cheer.


Today I am all dried up,
My beauty all gone,
I cannot bear the sun's heat
And my dry limbs are cracking,
My trunk is turning hollow
My leaves are yellowing
And falling off
One by one.


The birds no longer
Perch atop my branches,
They no longer talk to me
As they used to,
My heart is filled
With loneliness,
My only companions being
Other withered trees like me.


Many a storms
I have weathered,
But now my roots are weak,
I can weather no more,
I await desperately
That one big storm
That will fell me
To the earth...

10 comments:

Sathej said...

Hello,
Nice,touching verse!Reflects the highs and lows of life in a subtle way.By the way,you had given some links yesterday in a post,if I am not wrong.
And you seem to have been invited to contribute somewhere too,I presume!Congrats!
Sathej

Nithya said...

beautiful comparison between old age and an old tree :) Every single sentence written down holds so true, as far as growing old is concerned :)

Akash said...

hi priya
awesome words...reflects that everyone at one stage of our life will be looking forward to fall down for good...
everything in life expires...i guess...other than LOVE( true love)
TC priya

Priya Iyer said...

@sathej,

thanks! :-) yep, i had put up a different post in place of this, but then decided against it! have saved that for later! :-)

thanks a lot for the wishes! :-)

@niths,

thanks! :-)

@ks,

very true..rightly said...thanks for visiting! :-)

Priya Arun said...

very poignant verse..very metaphorical too..me likey! :-)

Priya Iyer said...

priya,

thanks a lot! :-)

Ryan said...

super...simple ( for ppl like me to understand unlike nith's!!)..and yet beautiful...it was as if the tree sang

Priya Iyer said...

sharan,

thanks! :-)

it's Vincent Saint-Simon! said...

Hi Priya!
I see that Hildegaard sent you a message and you had all the proper faculties to type a response. We've been looking at your blog for a little, and you seem pretty great. As far as submissions, we take poetry, fiction, essays, and other creative things as long as they're either witty or delicious. If you do have anything sitting around, we'd love to see it. You could send it to awkwardalligator@gmail.com mayhap? It is my firm conviction that your day will go as well as I hope it does. Oh, and take it easy.

Slashes and So Forth,
Vincent Saint-Simon

Priya Iyer said...

mr. vincent,

thanks a lot! :-)