A place for everything that is close to my heart....from ramblings of an idle mind to something inspirational to fun and humor.....self-written and sourced....

Sunday, May 13, 2007

For Amma


Dear Amma,

I know you are not going to read this, but I am going to write it anyway. Amma, for me, every day is mother's day. Not a single day of mine can go by without you. But I would like to take this opportunity today to say a heartfelt 'thank you' for all that you have done for me.

You have been one of the greatest ladies I have seen in my life. You have made so many little sacrifices for me, to ensure that I was well educated, well fed and well cared for. All without a grimace or tear. I guess the greatest reward for you was to see me do well in life. You have nurtured me, held me, fussed over me, kissed me, cried with me, laughed with me, scolded me - all with my welfare in mind.

Amma, you have always been my friend, philosopher and guide. I can talk to you about anything under the sun, comfortably. What would I have done without your suggestions and guidance? I guess I would have wasted away my life if it were not for you. You were always there to offer a helping hand and willing to be just a silent listener at times while I poured out my heart.

You are the first person I want to talk to when something goes wrong in life or when something works out very well. You are my respite from all the pain and grief of life.

You taught me the most valuable lessons in life. You taught me how to learn to bear pain and not crib, because it ultimately makes you wiser and stronger. You taught me to value people and relationships. You taught me compassion and empathy.

I know I can rely on you even when every one else goes out on me. I know you'll always be there for me. You can fight against any one for my sake. I know you love me more than myself, imperfections and all.

You have always been happy to see me smile and have cried when I had tears in my eyes. You know me better than I know myself. You can accurately predict how I feel inside just by looking at my face.

You have been my constant source of optimism, power and inspiration. You are the grease that ensures that my life keeps running smoothly, in perfect order. You are the powerful glue that binds the whole family together. All of us wouldn't know what to do without you, amma.

I know I cannot thank you enough for all that you have done for me. You are great! I will always be there for you, amma, whenever you need me. Thanks for everything. I love you a lot. Happy mother's day!

7 comments:

Nithya said...

Am touched :)

"You are the first person I want to talk to when something goes wrong in life or when something works out very well. You are my respite from all the pain and grief of life."

Perfecto :)...That's what Ammas are for..:D

And yay i breached the rule, first day anikke...So don't you worry, I will be commenting on and off on your posts :D

Anonymous said...

We often take people close to us for granted, especially to vent our anger. How many times I have hurt my mother's feelings and yet she loves as before! :(

Priya Iyer said...

nithya,

mothers are great! Divine! You can never thank them enough for all that they have done for you. The sad part is sometimes, we tend to take her for granted.:-(
It is rightly said that "God could not be everywhere, so He made mothers."
Good to see you back, but do concentrate on your studies and do well.:-)

badariji,
Thanks for visiting again:-)
yeah, many times we take our mothers for granted and unknowingly hurt her. But she always forgives and forgets. Thats why mothers are special.:-)

Anonymous said...

Though you have written so much, I still feel it is less. That is a mother! Truly, there are no words that can describe her love and sacrifice completely.

Priya Iyer said...

brinda,

you're right. words cannot be adequate to describe a mother's great love. it is a very beautiful thing.:-)

Sathej said...

'You are the first person I want to talk to when something goes wrong in life or when something works out very well. You are my respite from all the pain and grief of life.'
Very moving.
So true! Really emotive writing!Mothers' love is beyond any comparison.
Sathej

Priya Iyer said...

sathej,

thanks :-) yep, a mother is great! :-) her love cannot be expressed in words..