A place for everything that is close to my heart....from ramblings of an idle mind to something inspirational to fun and humor.....self-written and sourced....

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Sweet memories

Today is 1st May, 2007. Exactly one month since I quit my last job, where I worked for 2 years. Quite an emotional upheaval that was - quitting that job. I thought about it for months together and finally decided to take the plunge. I had to do it for the sake of my career.

I still remember my last day in that office. It was quite touching to see everyone behave extra-soft that day, making special efforts to ensure that I left with beautiful memories of the place. I had stuck around for so long that people hadn't expected me to leave. They had gotten used to having me around, just as I had gotten used to the place. There were quite a few colleagues who said, "Next time, when we are doing this, please remind me to....", only to remember, "Oh, God! You won't be here from tomorrow onwards!"

One of my colleagues and friends remarked wistfully, "It's an April fool joke, na? You'll be back tomorrow?" Saying no to that was the one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. That colleague went out of the way to rush home earlier than usual and when questioned by others why she was behaving like that, what she said tore at my heart. "Priya is leaving. I am afraid I might cry. And I don't want to bid her a tearful farewell." Sigh!

I was surprised to see even colleagues with whom I didn't have much interaction come forward to wish me 'All the best' on that day. One of them said, "You have been a very sincere and good person.May God fill your life with happiness." Sigh! Sigh!

My boss told me, "This is your office, Priya. You are always welcome here, any time you want to come back. Our doors are always open for you."

Taking photos with everyone was the fun part and the most touching part of that day. At that time, it struck me that I would maybe never return to this office again.

Amidst hugs and smiles and handshakes and 'farewell's and 'all the best's, I finally took that last step out of the office.

A week after I had left the job, one of my other colleagues and friends sent me a beautiful message which left me speechless. It was: "Kitni raatein beet gayee, Kitne din beet gaye, Bus beeta nahi toh.... Yaadon ka woh pal, Woh guzra hua kal, Beeti nahi toh aankhon ki nami Aur aap ki kami......" Sigh again!

My last job was actually my second job, but my first real one. The first job lasted for only 2 months. That place has been like a home to me. I have never felt like I have been away from home in that office. I used to call it 'a home away from home'. My colleagues there have been with me through thick and thin, even my boss. I am still attached to that office, though I am not part of it now. That place holds a special importance for me, maybe because it was my first real job. It's not that I am not satisfied with my current job, but that place somehow is very special and close to my heart. I have a whole lot of memories associated with the place.

That organisation and the people there have impacted me and my outlook in more ways than one. I'm still learning the ropes at my current job and I hope to form a similar bond with the people here as well.

Maybe as I go ahead in life, I will outgrow the feeling of getting so emotionally attached to everything. But today, I am feeling nostalgic...........Missing all of you guys...............

6 comments:

Priya Arun said...

Now I'm not sure whether to put a smiley smiley :-) or a cry-ey smiley :-(!

Jobs come and jobs go, but the people..the people remain. And that's what matters in the end, no? Celebrate your friendships and look forward to forming new ones. :-)

P.S: I donno why your blog makes me say profound things!!! So you cant blame me for whatever I wrote above. It's all your fault! ;-)

Priya Iyer said...

Priya,
Rightly said. It is ultimately people or rather memories that remain.

No problem...We love your profound wisdom too....;-)

Anonymous said...

We can't help being emotional at times, but practicality is the buzzword of today's world.

Priya Iyer said...

brinds,

hmmmm....that's true......

Sathej said...

True,practicality is the buzz word.But,I too feel like this so many times.Great post!
And believe me,the feeling has nothing to do with age.I believe it has something to do with one's mental make-up,psychology and the like.You literally had me nostalgic too.What anote from your colleaugue after a week.Very very emotional.
And yes,you could go back to the place,I suppose.
Sathej

Priya Iyer said...

sathej,

yeah, it has more to do with mental meake-up than age. but at times, you have to let go and move on...

now i have got as emotionally attached to my new place as i was at my old one. :-)